Pain, tingling or numbness around the elbow, wrist or hand can often be a sign of an overuse injury caused by overloading tendons, muscles or sometimes nerves.
ELBOW & HAND INJURIES
Busy people with busy schedules frequently put up with symptoms for longer than they should.
- Tennis elbow
- Golfers elbow
- Repetitive overuse injuries
- Post dislocations
- Acute sprains and strains
- Postural problems
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Post surgical rehabilitation
- Post fracture rehabilitation
At West Active our experienced physios will assess the injury site in detail and will also review your posture in order to highlight changes that may assist with symptom resolution and injury prevention.
Treatment may include:
- Settling techniques to relieve pain such as deep tissue massage, dry needling
- Mobilisation techniques
- Gentle manipulation
- Range of rehabilitation exercises to provide long-term relief.
- Get back to work or sports with specific training
Bad posture can cause neck pain. Ligaments are over-stretched, muscles become tired and the neck joints and nerves are put under pressure.
Slouching your shoulders with your head pushed forward, sleeping with your head in an awkward position, or working with your head down for long periods, will all tend to cause or worsen neck pain.ation injury or ‘whiplash’ where the head is thrown forward or backward.
I HAVE ELBOW OR HAND PAIN – WHAT SHOULD I DO RIGHT NOW?
To help manage your problems as best as possible:
- Avoid or modify activities and positions, which cause your pain. Recovery is easier if you stop irritating the injured site.
- Rest your arm on a pillow when sitting for prolonged periods
- Use ice packs for 15 – 20 minutes regularly to help control the pain
- Compress the painful site with a compression bandage
- Rest your arm on a pillow during the night.